Monday, April 11, 2011

Going behind the system: an informal chat with Hugo



 
Despite it being a Sunday I've been up and out to the café early today to write up a quick chat I had with Hugo yesterday. 

He's almost got everything ready his end and as planned, on Tuesday you'll be able to get in on this to try it out for a full ten weeks to see how it works for you. 

In the meantime though, here's what we got talking about yesterday... 

GLENN: Where to start? Actually, on my way here I just put a fiver on Hamilton to win in Malaysia tomorrow and you're a big fan of F1, right? Good move or bad move? 

HUGO: Not a bad bet and you probably got better odds than you would have Vettel. But I do think Vettel will do it again tomorrow. 

GLENN: Unfortunately, I think you might be right. But anyway, we should be talking about trading! What got you involved? 

HUGO: Well, I kind of staggered into it really. 

I'd spent 25 years in the financial services industry but then back in, what was it, 1995? I got made redundant. 

The whole division I had been headhunted to join just three years earlier was closed. There were 14 of us executives and around 1,000 staff all out on their ear. 

Worst thing was no-one had any idea it was coming. But it was a good thing in the end as I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for that shock. 

When I left I was 49 so I was a bit worried about what exactly I would do. People don't tend to make such big changes at that age. 

GLENN: Certainly. People thought I was mad when I quit work to change my career in my mid-twenties. Late forties is a whole different kettle of fish. 

HUGO: Exactly. But the cliché is true in this case: it's never to late to make a change. Luckily and pretty much by chance I met an old school trader through a friend at the same time and he ended up teaching me the basics and straight away I loved it. 

I soon developed my own ideas from that point on. And of course, this was before all the fancy trading platforms and online stuff we have these days... 

Everything I did back then had to be worked out manually and I had to draw up individual charts at the end of each day's trading! Laborious stuff, but very good training. 

GLENN: Makes it quite ironic as well, I guess. With the trade alarm, your new system takes full advantage of the modern changes! 

HUGO: It does. But as with most things in life, to be able to develop something that looks so simple on the outside actually takes a lot of hard work. 

And I don't mind admitting that a lot of my early research ended up nowhere. In fact, it wasn't until really good charting packages became available, that I started to see the potential that trading could have. 

In 2005 I started to develop my first real strategy and I used all the elements of my previous success which fully utilized the new charting packages and online trading platforms. 

I had a lot of success with that system and had a lot of encouragement and feedback from people who used it. 

GLENN: Did you use that to inform this system? 

HUGO: Definitely. You can very easily get lost believing you know everything only for someone to point out an error that's starting you in the face. Luckily most of the feedback in this case was asking for more systems. 

GLENN: I agree with you there. Half the reason we have such a good thing with Shortcut Bulletin is that my readers are brilliant at getting involved. 

HUGO: I just hope I can help them and they make money using my system. That's really how I got to it in the end - people told me that they wanted to trade, but the lack of time and trying to hold down a full time job stopped them having success... 

So, for the last four years I've been developing several ideas to solve this problem. I think that's what I've got now. Almost anyone with access to a PC or laptop can trade at almost any time of the day, night or the early hours. 

GLENN: Yeah, that for me is one of the biggest bonuses of your system. A lot you come across are time specific, but you use yours at almost any time you want. 

HUGO: At the end of the day, we all lead busy lifestyles. And I know a lot of people spend a great deal of their time travelling to and from work then going to bed, only to repeat exactly the same regime day after day! 

But I'm hoping with this system even the busiest people can find a few minutes each day to trade. 

GLENN: I don't see why not. I mean, it is just a case of setting that alarm and then when it goes off the trade only takes a couple of minutes to place, right? 

HUGO: Seconds sometimes. I had one last week that was done and dusted in 60 seconds. 

But yes, and if they don't take that trade, they can just wait until the next one comes along. You get so many opportunities; you're usually spoilt for choice. There could be as many as 20 to 30 trading opportunities each day between 8.00am and 8.00pm alone. 

GLENN: OK. I know you need to get off and I've got a friend to meet in a moment, but before we conclude, can you give me five top bits of advice for anyone who puts a copy of your system to the test on Tuesday. 

HUGO: Well, first things first I'd say take your time. I've taken a great deal of time myself to make this as easy to follow as possible. So, just relax and follow the step by step instruction guide and watch the video a few times and you won't go far wrong. 

Also, I always say ‘work for yourself - but not by yourself' and that's never more true than in this case... 

When you buy my trading course - you buy me too. You get my undivided individual attention if you have a query, so don't think you're isolated or on your own. 

If you get stuck, get in touch. 

GLENN: That's two! 

HUGO: Third, I'd say don't assume anything. Forget any strategies you may have tried before and don't try to tweak something if it doesn't fit how someone else trades. 

Keep an open mind and I'm sure you'll find my approach rewarding. 

Four: you don't have to trade with real money from the get go. You've got ten weeks to put this to the test, so paper trade for a while if you feel more confident. 

And expect to make mistakes when you're starting out. 

Five... 

GLENN: I think that might already be five? 

HUGO: Well, I'd also say that this is all designed so that you don't have to spend ages staring at a monitor to find a trade, so make sure once you've made your two trades for the day, you get on with enjoying your life! 

GLENN: Grand stuff. Thanks for taking the time Hugo. I'm certainly looking forward to sharing your system with people and I'm sure Shortcut readers will be rearing to give this a go. 

HUGO: Yes, I'm looking forward to it myself and hoping we get some early success stories straight away. 

GLENN: Seeing as we're both big film buffs, one final and almost impossible question: what's your favourite film? 

HUGO: Wow, a tall order. 

Most of David Lean's films, among them: Brief Encounter, Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia. Great Expectations. 

And those in my top 10 would have to be The Godfather. All three parts! China Town. Apocalypse Now. East of Eden. Maltese Falcon. Street Car Named Desire. On the Water Front. 

Actually I could go on for ages. 

GLENN: Ha. Unfair, I know. But you've hit on some corkers there, so I'll let you off. And you included Apocalypse Now, so no arguments from me. Thanks Hugo. 

Remember, when this goes live on Tuesday, you'll have ten whole weeks to put this to the test to see if it's the right system for you. 

In that time, making just two small trades a day and starting out during the first week with just £1 trading and then increasing your staking by £1 a week, you could potentially make £5,500

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanx :)
Ivy